get updates: follow me:

Library Day in the Life: Round 7

Posted: August 10th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: blogging, librarian | Tags: , , , | 17 Comments »

Recently I participated in round 7 of Library Day in the Life (or LDITL, or #libday7). LDITL is an oh-so-clever & downright helpful project dreamed up by Bobbi Newman. The project calls for library workers everywhere to document & share their day online to give readers an insight into what it is we do all day. On her Librarian by day blog,  Bobbi explains further:

“(LDITL is) a chance to share your day, or week, with other librarians and hopefully the public at large… Last round there were just under 250 people signed up on the wiki. There were over 800 people participating via Twitter.  It has grown to be an international project with participants from the USA, Canada, Great Britain, Scotland, Ireland, Denmark, Netherlands, Finland, France, New Zealand, Australia, Taiwan and Singapore. Participants are from academic, public, college, special, school libraries, professional organizations and library vendors.”

I’m blogging about one day of my working week to share with people in Libraryland and – more importantly – people who don’t work in libraries, why I can honestly say: “I’m lucky, I love my job.”  This exercise is also for me to reflect on how I spend a working day, with a view to improving time-management & prioritising tasks. I am pleased I can compare it to my Round 6 post, which will be very helpful as self-reflection.

To participate I:

• signed up on the wiki
  • recorded my day on a notepad (like a real-life, hardcopy actual pad – but I did include hashtags!)
  • took some photos (sans public due to privacy)
  • DIDN’T tweet – & I wish I could have because it would have made for a more interactive day & helped me keep more detailed notes that were time recorded
  • posted my photo/s to the LDITL Flickr group pool
  • tweeted a couple of things from home & followed the hashtag: #libday7 from home
  • wrote this blog post & shared it with you!

There is a method to my messness!

My Librarian Day in the Life: Tuesday 26th July, 2011

Facts you may need to know:

• I’m a Children’s & Youth Librarian in a Public Library in Australia
  • I’m 35 & male
  • I do wear cardigans & glasses
  • I don’t have a cat.

6:55am  Rise.

7:00  Coffee pot & computer on.

7:10  Logged into Twitter & read about Björk app & A Clockwork Orange being adapted into a musical! & began scrawling #libday7 notes in pad.

7:15  Scan Gmail inbox for any pertinent personal emails, open my google+ (G+) stream & added “Hello from Wollongong, Australia!” to @LiB‘s in-library G+ class.

7:25  G+ & coffee (Together at last,) read about gaming in & outside of libraries.

7:25  Reply to FB non-Libraryland friends & tweeted a welcome to (non-Libraryland) friend who joined twitter – yay!

7:30  Shower, etc.

8:10  Leave home, drop most excellent wife J. @ work, arrive work.

8:50  Clock in, return library books, start pc, etc. (10mins early.)

9:00  Write to-do list.

• cull
  • #libday7 notes
  • photos
  • email person X
  • write-up 5/6 (script for Children’s Book Week performance)
  • post KC draft (library blog that I run)
  • email ALL RE: stats
  • prep lessons
  • KC & TC posts (both library blogs I manage)
  • select (books from visiting Bookseller.)

9:05  Cull AKA weed: part of my role is maintaining Junior & Young Adult collections. This involves (among other things) selecting items to be weeded (discarded, culled) from the collection. Right now I’m focussing on Junior Fiction & this morning I targeted Board Books & Picture Books.

10:00  Book selection: another part of maintaining collections is acquisitions (purchasing, ordering, buying). We have relationships with a few booksellers who bring books to us, so we can select direct from them. I purchase Junior & Young Adult fiction for our four branches. This is an excellent part of my job :)

11:30 Emails, emails, emails. It is a BIG element to my job. Recently, I spoke with my supervisor about how it interrupts our workflow, & we both wish it wasn’t so. Other people agree. Will MPOW use Yammer one day? Or something else? (Does your workplace use Yammer?)

12:00 noon  Preparing promo material for Library Manager.

12:30  Lunch.

1:00  Culling continued.

1:40 Set up children’s area space for library lesson: a local Primary School does not have a school library, so MPOW is their library. The whole (smallish) school visits over three afternoons, every two weeks. I host 5 lessons of around 25 children/class. We talk about books, reading, learning & our library. I am teaching them how to use their library for fun, & fun study. After our brief lesson I assist them to find any books/mags/comics they would like to borrow for the two weeks. Apart from raising our profile & providing an essential service for these school library-less children, these lessons generate great door counter & loan stats. It is also a chance for me to promote new items, services & activities & to informally survey what children are reading, studying, listening to, watching, playing & what their current hobbies are. I feel it is a very important service & it is undoubtedly mutually beneficial.

1:45  Check over pre-prepared lesson plan. It is very important for me to be organised for these lessons. I am not always, & the quality suffers & I get nervous & feel rushed. In an ideal world, I would have the year planned out, or at least a school term, but currently I just plan a week in advance.

2:00 Deliver two library lessons back-to-back. The first for Years 2/3, and the second for Year 4 children. If it fits into my lesson plan & the time allotted, I really like to read to the children as a part of the lesson. For the first class, I read the very funny Barnyard Slam as we were discussing illustrators.

3:10 Pack up after class: move furniture, tidy shelves, check in books, & enter the all-important stats for reference/catalogue help.

3:25 Make cup of tea, grab apple & back to desk.

3:30 Return my colleague’s trolley – very important. Never, no never, take another library worker’s trolley.

3:40 Continue culling.

3:45 Impromptu meeting to discuss Children’s Book Week timetable. Consensus = hectic!

4:10 Carry new book boxes. (Further proof librarianship is manual labour!)

4:12 My tea is cold, but I finished my apple.

4:25 Help customer with printer.

4:30 Sign into MPOW twitter account: scan tweetstream & retweet any faves.

4:35  Tidy MPOW blog post draft, publish it, email staff RE post, tweet link to post.

5:10  Shut down pc, tidy desk (honestly!) & clock out. (10mins late.)

- – - – - – -  time, traffic, conversation, dinner & Neighbours passes – - – - – - – - – - -

9:15pm  Open twitter, Google Reader & G+ & follow links to read about other’s #libday7 adventures. I also meandered around virtual Libraryland reading about Children’s & Young Adult literature & programming ideas for both groups. People’s posts about G+, other tech stuff & some #cpd23 posts got a look-in too.

10:35  To bed & more reading; The Red wind this time. I’m reading this as reader advisory because it’s on the short list for the Children’s Book Council of Australia Book of the Year. Thankfully, I’m enjoying it too.

You may like to know:

• for sure I’ve missed some stuff that I didn’t make a note of. Especially customer service: loans, reader advisory, catalogue/pc/reference help, and, staff phone calls, discussions & questions (oh & laughs too!)
  • of my list of 10, I completed 4 items. This is normal, & indicative of how much unscheduled work comes up
  • I wore my lightweight cardigan, not my winter number.

So, Dear Reader:

• how was your #libday7 day/s or week? Please leave a link in the comments to your post/s because I’m keen to read :)
  • if you don’t work in a library, what do you think of my workday?
  • if you do, how does it compare to yours?
  • Thanks for reading this  l     o        n          g  post!

Comments
  • You Will Never Guess Who this Is! August 10, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Well David, sounds like you’re snowed under with work! I bet your supervisor thinks the same thing… emails are sooo distracting and only increase to the work load. Your supervisor sounds really kewl, would like to meet him one day. Well, it’s way past my bed time, but I thought I would check out to see what a children’s and youth librarian gets up to in a day (saw your post on facebook). Ok, well I better go. Thanks for the insight.

• dpgreen August 11, 2011 at 7:00 am

Dear You Will Never Guess Who This Is! (or will I?) Thank you very much for your comment, and for reading my up-sized post; I appreciate it :) I’m glad we agree on the email thing. I’m a fan of shooting comments/questions in the subject line, but this is not a suitable work around. Just quietly, some days I just check my ye olde paper diary & don’t open Outlook til 10am! Cheeky, I know. I am definitely busy, not sure if I’m snowed under just yet, or if so, I’m having fun in the snow! This is the thing: I love my job, and I know not everyone can say that. So I know I am/we are extremely lucky. Your site is looking great & I’m excited for future projects – especially Doogles Alternative – & site updates! And yes my supervisor is really kewl ;)

• jo August 11, 2011 at 8:29 am

What a great post and I love the pic of your office. Your work day sounds amazing, love the fact that the school uses your library, and that they allow you to take a class. As a youth outreach librarian, my day compares to yours, and I also love selection resources. I participate in the day in the life challenge every January, and this year was horrified that I spent the whole day writing and responding to emails!

• dpgreen August 21, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Thx very much for reading, & for yr comment Jo! Pls excuse my delay in replying. It is great that a local school uses our library – I really try to drum into them that it is their library (but then it is all our customers’ library, really). I’m sure our days compare; working with young people is excellent! I must head to yr blog & read up on yr January Day in the Life posts. Argh! A whole day emailing?! NOOOO!

• You may never guess who this is!! August 11, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Very interesting!!! Do you work with babies too? They are such a joy to work with. I have very much enjoyed reading your post, such a busy man. How do you make it to the end of the day without bursting into tears? Bookweek is a hectic time of the year but you get out of it, what you put into it. I do hope you have understanding colleagues. Best of luck David

• dpgreen September 6, 2011 at 8:45 am

Dear You may never guess who this is!! (or will I?) ~ Thank you for reading & for your lovely comment. Yes I do work with babies & you’re right, they are a JOY to work with. I am very lucky to have excellent colleagues for Children’s Book Week & every other week, so as yet I have not burst into any tears :)

• Hana August 11, 2011 at 7:16 pm

fantastically thorough post David! I never got that detailed with note taking! I gave up when it got busy and just ad-libbed. I like the cardigan reference and the “Facts you may need to know” prior to getting into your timeline. great post.

Would love to be in the room when you’re taking a class, just to see the love and enthusiasm :-)

• dpgreen September 6, 2011 at 8:56 am

Hiya Hana! Thanks for reading my super-long post :) Yes taking classes is fun when I’m prepared but dull when I’m not! So… are you a cardigan-wearer-type? ;)

• Hana September 6, 2011 at 9:52 am

Heey no worries David! nope not really a cardigan wearing type. Oh, kinda. Sorta? I wear skate shoes to work sometimes, or walk around without my shoes on. And jeans with holes in them… I do prefer open jerseys that have a zip or buttons, feel a bit claustrophobic with a proper jersey on. The dailyimages should say it all really!

• dpgreen September 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I have jean-wearing envy. Kudos to you & your sometimes bald feet!

• burnty August 12, 2011 at 7:43 am

dear Davo, 7:32am reading your post and listening to sunday 8pm by faithless…
    i love reading your blogs Davo, i can picture you doing each step, sorry to hear your tea got cold… i agree the best way to deal with interruptive emails is to have morning quiet time. e.g. at our work we are fortunate to have the lovely Dale who organises our pilates classes and who screens our calls until 10am to give us time to get settled. we often close our email to get things done, because if someone actually needs something responded to now, they can pick up the phone and ask…. keep up the great blogs Davo, here is a nonsensical poem for friday, http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/pussy.html xx

• dpgreen September 12, 2011 at 9:48 am

Dear burnty, thx so much for reading & for yr comment. Pls excuse my very late reply. Morning quiet time sounds like a top idea – I need me a Dale, I thinks. YES! – if you need something asap, call me, don’t email; love it. Thx for yr bloglove & the poem linkage – both are über appreciated :) p.s. Faithless tie-in = FTW! X

• Anne August 12, 2011 at 8:00 am

Yayyyy! FINALLY. Someone else who has a desk that looks like mine. Cluttered, messy, hectic lives (but we know exactly where everything is, don’t we?)

• dpgreen September 12, 2011 at 10:18 am

Hello Anne! Thanks very much for reading & for taking the time to comment. YES – messy desk owners unite! I totally know where everything is (kinda, maybe) & I have (partial!) control of my cluttered, messy hectic work life. Have you seen the great Tumblr called A View From Your Desk? It’s snapshots of Library workers’ desks, click here: http://aviewfromyourdesk.tumblr.com/ Have a great day :)

• Guess who August 12, 2011 at 8:39 am

Read all about your fun day at work, I also love working at the library. Just wanted to check if it was my trolley that you were rushing to return to it’s owner. Also don’t still don’t like tags!!!!!!!!

• dpgreen September 13, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Hello Guess who! Thank you very much for reading & for your reply :) Sorry I’m so late replying, I got busy tagging ;) I’m so pleased you also love working @ the library. We’re lucky aren’t we? Not everyone can say they love their job.

• [...] that’s my day, thanks for reading! (You can my previous LDITL posts here and [...]